Ruth Shapiro is the firm’s Vice President, Chair of the Tort and Insurance Practice Group, and is a member of the firm’s Business Development Advisory Committee.
Her practice focuses on personal injury defense and employment matters. She is a well-respected trial attorney defending catastrophic injury, wrongful death, employment, product liability, and premises liability cases. Ruth has numerous defense jury verdicts in a variety of cases.
In her nearly 30 years of practice, Ruth has averaged two trials per year. In the past four years alone, Ruth has obtained defense jury verdicts in matters involving a fatality as a result of a truck versus crosswalk pedestrian (demand in excess of $23 million), a catastrophic brain injury premises liability case, a double fatality from a truck accident (with a $22 million demand), a $2.8 million catastrophic injury case, a fatality from use of farm equipment (with a $3 million demand), an employment contract dispute, employment discrimination, premises liability, and a snow tubing, skier-collision.
Ruth has practiced with law firms in Wisconsin, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Washington, DC. She also served as in-house counsel for a large liability insurance carrier’s third-party administrator. Prior to enrolling in law school, Ruth played professional tennis, traveling throughout North America to compete.
- J.D., Marquette University Law School, 1992
- B.A., Lafayette College, History, 1986
Bar & Court Admissions
- Utah State Bar
- Wyoming State Bar
- Federal District Court, District of Utah
- Idaho State Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho
- U.S. District Court, District of Utah
- U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Massachusetts State Bar
- New Hampshire State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Class Actions and Collective Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Insurance Defense
- Drug and Medical Device Defense
- Employer Defense
- Employment and Benefits
- Insurance Defense
- Mass Tort Defense
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Personal Injury Defense
- Product Liability Defense
- Recreation and Entertainment
- Trials and Litigation